ICMM’s mission is – in collaboration with others – to strengthen the social and environmental performance of the mining and metals industry and build recognition of its contribution to local communities and society at large.
Location: Central London, UK; reach is global, invoving some international travel (approx. 10% of the time)
Type: Permanent, full-time
Reporting line: Director, Communications
ICMM is an international CEO-led organisation comprised of 27 of the world’s leading mining and metals companies as well as 35 national and global commodity associations. Members employ over a million people in some 80 countries.
ICMM company members adhere to a series of commitments that require specific action on a range of sustainable development-related topics including water and land stewardship, climate change and energy, economic and social progress, mine closure, host community support, the responsible supply and use of materials and worker and community health and safety.
Our approach is anchored in leading and facilitating collaboration between company members and other stakeholders that include industry colleagues, governments, investors, suppliers, communities, Indigenous Peoples, academia, and many different organisations of civil society. ICMM seeks simultaneous value-creation for shareholders and host societies. We play no role in competitive market positioning.
We are looking for a highly motivated person who has experience in developing communications strategy and creative campaigns, excellent writing skills, relationship building and project management skills. Ideally you will have experience working in the extractives sector, the world of international development or an industry/membership association.
In this role, you will work closely with the Director, Communications and team of three communications specialists. You will bring strong project management as well as creative, collaborative and communication skills. You will be comfortable building relationships with key stakeholders within the organisation, including colleagues in programmes and the CEO’s office, as well as with members and our strategic communications agency.
You will thrive in a busy environment and will manage a pipeline of compelling stories, taking a leading role in creating written content, social media and developing plans to share our messaging, stories and work across paid, owned and earned channels. You will be an enthusiastic and talented writer with an eye for a good story and the ability to support others to hone this skill. We’re looking for a great communicator who can understand complex issues and translate them into compelling content.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and managing relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Providing communications leadership to each of our organisational projects and taking the lead as ‘communications business partner’ on specific programmes, ensuring smooth planning, injecting creativity, leveraging milestones for external communications and delivering against agreed objectives
- Developing and managing annual editorial and monthly social media content calendars
- Producing and commissioning written content, including op-ed and blogs
- Social media community management
- Managing the development of ICMM’s messaging with issue leads
- Managing stakeholder research and audience mapping projects
- Coordinating the Communications Strategy and Planning Working Group.
- Digital communications experience including social media community management and content development
- External or internal communications planning and project management experience
- Experience sourcing, researching and writing creative, engaging stories
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and people management skills
- Experience of establishing and managing effective relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders in order to deliver activities
- External agency management experience
- Ability to prioritise and balance a complex work programme and tight production schedules
- Experience of data analysis and reporting
- A strong team player, willing and flexible to support and work with colleagues across the organisation, including providing cover for the immediate team.
ICMM offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
As an Equal Opportunities employer, ICMM welcomes applications from all candidates with the desired profile and experience irrespective of their gender, religion, race, sexual orientation, etc.
Candidates should be eligible to work in the UK.
If you are interested in applying for this position and believe you have the required experience and competencies, please send your CV and covering letter to Kristen Dodd Kristen.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include details of your current compensation package. The deadline for applications is 20 May 2019.
ICMM will treat all applicants’ personal data in compliance with relevant legislation including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). For full details, see our Job Applicants privacy notice.