ICMM and its member companies launched the 'Minerals and Metals Management 2020' (MMM2020) action plan in 2009, responding to the challenges of United Nations' Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM).
- The plan links to the specific objectives of SAICM and outlines 23 specific goals falling under 4 themes:
- Integrating life cycle thinking into existing management systems.
- Building relationships up and down the supply chain.
- Optimising the production and application of minerals and metals.
- Contributing to a robust, accessible base of information to support decision-making.
- The original commitments were followed by two progress reports in 2012 and 2015 released in line with the 3 yearly International Conferences for Chemical Management.