The actions of Senior Leaders are fundamental to the elimination of fatalities. Strong and consistent leadership that demonstrates – every day – a continuous commitment to safe and fatality free production will drive us to zero fatalities.
- This document provides a guide for Senior Leaders in their relentless drive to prevent fatalities; both through their personal actions and the processes and activities they should ensure are in place. This covers the themes of: living the vision of zero fatalities, focusing on the high potential events, and recognising fallibility of people and systems.
- Investigations of fatal incidents around the world have demonstrated that in order to achieve safe and fatality free production the following elements are essential:
- Maintaining a sense of vulnerability – complacency built on past success blinds us to warning signs
- Ensuring continuous improvement in environment, equipment, strategy and systems
- Applying the hierarchy of controls – eliminate the risk and
- reduce the chance of human error
- Increasing the focus on high potential near fatal events
- Recognizing the personal – fatal accidents are not just statistics
- Maintaining operating disciplines – combating the gradual shift to unsafe behaviours
- Maintaining alertness to increased and unexpected risks during abnormal operating conditions
- Addressing culture and leadership through objective assessment and, where required, improvement plans
- Providing courageous leadership in leading change and holding each individual in the business accountable for safe and fatality free production.