Water Stewardship Maturity Framework
23 November 2023
ICMM’s Water Stewardship Maturity Framework is a practical tool designed to enhance the stewardship of shared water resources in ways that are socially equitable, environmentally sustainable and economically beneficial.
- The Framework aligns with leading external guidance and reporting initiatives, including the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Taskforce for Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD) and the Taskforce for Nature-related Financial Disclosure (TNFD).
- The Framework is intended to support users to:
- Effectively manage water as a shared resource with critical importance to the business, the local catchment and catchment stakeholders.
- Integrate the critical role of water in many priority agendas (for example, climate resilience, cultural heritage protection, nature-positive approaches, social performance and inclusion, and operational excellence).
- Navigate the complexities presented by a changing climate, increasing demand on shared water supplies and the need for more equitable access to water, sanitation and hygiene for all.
- The Framework presents a range of leading practices and examples from different operating contexts and is applicable at both the asset and corporate level. The Framework identifies five key elements of water stewardship:
- Governance and strategy.
- Understanding water context, risks and opportunities.
- Integration in business planning and decision making.
- Performance and measurement.
- Transparency and reporting.
- The new Framework, developed with input from water and environmental experts from ICMM’s membership, draws on members’ experiences, providing clear pathways and examples to support enhanced water stewardship practices across the industry