Launch of Conformance Protocols and ICMM's Tailings Management: Good Practice Guide
Panellists discuss how the 'Conformance Protocols' and ICMM's 'Tailings Management: Good practice guide' support the safe and transparent management of tailings.
When ICMM launched the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management alongside the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), our members committed that all tailings facilities with ‘Extreme’ or ‘Very high’ potential consequences will be in conformance with the Standard by August 2023, and all other facilities by August 2025.
The Standard shows industry ‘what’ needs to be done to manage tailings facilities responsibly. At this launch event, ICMM introduces two new resources to provide guidance to industry on ‘how’ to responsibly manage tailings facilities at mine sites and corporate levels.
During the 60-minute event, panellists discuss:
- Their connection to and interest in the Conformance Protocols: Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management and Tailings Management: Good practice guide.
- How the resources fit other resources supporting the safe and transparent management of tailings across the globe.
- How momentum can be maintained.
- Aidan Davy, Chief Operating Officer, ICMM.
- Professor Norbert R Morgenstern, Distinguished University Professor (Emeritus), University of Alberta (Canada).
- Adam Matthews, Chief Responsible Investment Officer, Church of England Pensions Board.
- Tamara Butler Johndrow, Director of Tailings, Crushed Leach and Water, Freeport-McMoRan.
- Charles Dumaresq, Vice President, Science and Environmental Management, Mining Association of Canada.