The Mining and Metals Sector Supplement is a sector-specific guidance incorporating the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3 Guidelines. GRI is the world's most widely-used source of guidance on reporting on economic, environmental and social performance.
The aim of developing a Supplement is to enhance sustainability reporting in the sector.
This Sector Supplement deals with the aspects of sustainable development that characterize the mining and metals sector, often because they are encountered more frequently or in greater measure than in other sectors.
The main contextual issues include:
• The control, use, and management of land
• The contribution to national economic and social development
• Community and stakeholder engagement
• Labour relations
• Environmental management
• Relationships with artisanal and small-scale mining
• An integrated approach to minerals use