The Cross Sector Biodiversity Initiative (CSBI), a partnership between ICMM, IPIECA and the Equator Principles Association, has launched Good practices for the collection of biodiversity baseline data. The guidance, prepared by CSBI and the Multilateral Financing Institutions’ Biodiversity Working Group summarises good practices for biodiversity baseline studies that support biodiversity-inclusive impact assessment and related management plans.
Aimed at extractive companies, lenders, regulators, and other involved in conducting Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), the guidance:
- provides a synthesis of 'good practices' for biodiversity baseline studies
- supports enhanced understanding of the technical concepts underpinnng these studies
- specifies the required studies/analysis to be undertaken
- identifies the specailsed skills required to undertake these
- supports practitioners in the interpretation of results
About the CSBI
The Cross-Sector Biodersity Initiative is a partnership between ICMM, IPIECA and the Equator Principles Association, for developing and sharing good practice related to the management of biodiversity in the extractive industries. The initiative provides a unique collaborative platform for convening the collective knowledge and expertise of practitioners working across the three participating sectors: finance, oil and gas and mining.
CSBI has developed products that guide users towards limiting, as far as possible, the negative impacts of development projects on biodiversity, and realising positive impacts where possible. Tools and Guidance available through CSBI can be downloaded here.