Assessing the hazards of ores and concentrates is essential for ensuring that any potential environmental and health risks can be properly managed. Through this guidance we hope to promote a consistent and responsible approach for assessment of cargoes governed within the IMO mandate and generated by the mining and metals industry.
- There are significant practical challenges to address for the assessment of ores and concentrates to ensure they can be transported safely - including the complexity and variation in their composition. This makes understanding the techniques required for accurate hazard assessment of paramount importance.
- In this guidance ICMM sets out the approach that leading mining and metals commodity associations have developed in collaboration with scientific experts from research institutes around the world to address this issue.
- This guidance document is intended to assist mining and metals companies in meeting the demands of new marine transport regulations including:
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL) - Annex V
- International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code (IMSBC)
- International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG).