This Framework outlines a standardised approach to water stewardship for the mining and metals industry, recognising that water connects an operation to the surrounding landscape and communities.
- ICMM’s Framework provides high-level guidance on the four key elements of responsible water management:
- Proactive and inclusive engagement with other water users to understand their needs and priorities, share plans and collaborate on managing risks.
- Transparent public reporting on water usage, material water risks and performance.
- Collaborating with other water users to mitigate shared water risks and support equitable access.
- Increasing efficiencies in the use of water (eg by maximising water recycling and reuse within mining operations).
- Overall, this approach seeks to develop a holistic understanding of the needs, concerns and priorities of all water users across an entire catchment.