Strategy and Action Plan
The International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM) is dedicated to improving sustainable development performance. ICMM's vision, values, goal and objectives create a platform for members to work together and with others to strengthen the contribution of mining, minerals and metals to sustainable development.
We operate on a three-year planning cycle. Our latest Strategy and Action Plan was completed in 2012 for implementation over the next three years. Looking forward, the plan outlines a number of questions that ICMM and its members need to reflect on. Are our actions really achieving the kind of lasting change that is needed? Should we be setting clearer aspirational goals in terms of how we would like the mining and metals industry to be – or is our task-oriented focus adequate?
All ICMM member companies are required to implement and measure their performance against a set of performance standards known as the Sustainable Development Framework. The framework is made up of three elements – a set of commitments (10 principles and six supporting position statements) supported by public reporting and independent third party assurance.
We use performance indicators to measure our progress towards six objectives:
1. Improve sustainability performance. To define and improve best development practices.
2. Listen to others and anticipate change. To solicit feedback from communities and stakeholders in an effort to improve our understanding of social values, proactively assess risks, avoid crises and address issues of public concern.
3. Communicate. To understand and communicate the contribution of the mining, minerals and metals’ industry to sustainable development.
4. Strengthen engagement capacity. To build and maintain effective relationships with the organizations responsible for ensuring the industry’s licence to operate.
5. Seek fair and consistent regulation. To promote fair and consistent policies and regulations for governing the performance of companies involved in mining, minerals and metals-related activities around the world.
6. Represent. To represent the collective views and interests of member companies and act as a principal point of contact with key constituencies in the international arena.
Our work programs
ICMM’s work is conducted through work programs that focus on specific areas of interest to the mining and metals community.